What documentation do I require if I am moving to the United States and I want to take my Honda vehicle with me? Will my warranty be valid in the United States?

Usually, Canadian Honda vehicles can be taken with you when you are moving to the United States. There are exceptions based on whether a vehicle complies with State and Federal Safety Regulations for the United States. If a vehicle is eligible to be brought into the United States, you will need to obtain specific documentation to produce either at the border crossing point, and/or at the state motor vehicle licensing office at your destination, as follows:

  • You will need a recall clearance letter from Honda Canada stating that there are no outstanding recalls on the vehicle. Contact the Honda Canada Customer Relations Department on our toll-free line, at 1-888-946-6329 and request a “Recall Clearance Letter”. Have your 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) available when you call, as we must quote it in the letter we prepare for you. Recall Clearance Letters will only be provided for individuals who are exporting a Honda for their own personal use. Letters are not supplied for commercial exporters of used vehicles.
  • You will also need a compliance letter from American Honda to stipulate that your Canadian vehicle complies with the applicable U.S. safety and emissions requirements. You must contact American Honda at their toll-free number, 1-800-999-1009, and request a “Compliance Letter”. Have your VIN ready as American Honda will require it in order to provide the letter.