Tips For Sharing The Road With CyclistsApr 21th, 2018
Whether you like it or not, cyclists have become a big part of your commute, especially if you live in the city. They are only becoming more popular as an alternative to a healthier and even quicker commute. It’s extremely important for drivers to understand how cyclists operate and vice versa. Your Formula Honda dealer Toronto wants to help you with these by providing safety tips for both sides.
- Before each ride, make sure you and your bike are prepared for the commute.
- Develop a maintenance habit with your bicycle by checking brakes and tire pressure. You can also get a tune-up at your local bike shop.
- Get a bike fitted for your body and needs.
- Gather the right accessories such as a bell to alert pedestrians, mirrors, reflectors, a headlight and taillight for night riding. Of course on top of that, get a good helmet.
- Get the proper clothing to alert drivers, typically light and reflective clothing.
- Be predictable for drivers. Ride straight, remain visible at all times and utilize hand signals.
- Keep an eye out for hazards such as a pile of leaves, puddles, gravel and other unexpected terrain. City cyclists typically should watch out for manhole covers, sewer grates and other slick surfaces.
- Obey the law at all times. It applies to you too.
- To start with, bicycles are vehicles on the road by law. So they have the same rights as you and you must respect them.
- Take a breath and be patient with cyclists. Do not put yourself or the cyclist at risk.
- Reduce your speed around a cyclist so that they do not get spooked.
- Avoid honking as it can startle the rider.
- Children are unpredictable if they are on bikes, so be extra cautious.
Formula Honda Invites You To Visit Us
Visit your local Toronto Honda dealer to explore a new set of wheels and learn more about our safety tips. We are always open to showing you our Honda selection and introducing you our service team. We are always available to fix any and all Honda issues with our array of genuine Honda service parts. Our factory technicians are trained throughout the year to stay on top of the recent Honda trends and Honda vehicles. For more information, visit our #FormulaHonda website at www.formulahonda.com.